History

History 2017-05-14T08:53:54+00:00

Beaufort Manor was built by James Sanders in 1876 as a gift for his wife-to-be, Charlotte Sandall, who was living in Beaufort Square, Bath, England. It is from her home address that she named her Australian residence ‘Beaufort House’.

The Sanders-Waddell family owned and occupied Beaufort House for some 60 years.

Dame Nellie Melba frequently stayed here and performed with the Yea Orchestral Society.

In 1942, during World War ll, the property was leased to Ivanhoe Grammar who were forced to evacuate their city location and relocate to a safer country address.
They used it as a boarding school for their 130 students for the next three years.

Over the last 140 years, Beaufort Manor has had many different faces – a boarding house for return soldiers, restaurant, antique shop and now, a wedding and reception venue and much loved residence for Lisa and Stewart.

 

Beaufort House Historical image

Beaufort House Historical image

Yea Orchestral Society 1890 outside Beaufort manor

Yea Orchestral Society 1890 outside Beaufort Manor

Beaufort Manor Historical image

Beaufort Manor Historical image